- A unique flying insect, a fairyfly named Kikiki huna has been found in Yercaud, Tamil Nadu.
- Entomoligists laid insect traps few months ago in Yercaud and the insect has been found in Chidambaram too.
- With this discovery, India joins a club of countries that are home to the unique insect.
- Kikiki was first discovered in Trinidad around 20 years ago and later in Hawaii. It has also been found in Australia and Argentina.
- The insect measures about 0.16 mm and is the world’s smallest flying insect.
- It is a multi-cellular organism which is smaller than single-celled organisms.
- The Kikiki huna derives its name from Hawaiian which means ‘tiny bit’.
News item compiled by Adarsh Mohandas