Noted Indian agriculture scientist Modadugu Vijay Gupta, who has done pioneering work in aquaculture in India and several other countries, was recently awarded the first Sunhak Peace Prize, which he shared with Anote Tong, the President of Kiribati Islands.
- Tong, the President of Kiribati Islands which is facing the dire prospects of being engulfed by rising sea waters by 2050, was chosen for the award for his dogged fight to end the carbon emissions which are spelling doom for small island nations.
The Sunhak Peace Prize is intended to recognize and empower innovations in human development, conflict resolution and ecological conservation.
- The award carries $1 million prize.
- It is billed as an alternative to the Nobel Peace Prize.
- The prizes will not be awarded based on celebrity or popularity, but on “substantial contributions” made by individuals or organizations to the ideal of peace.
- This year’s prize focused on the theme of ocean conservation, climate change and aquaculture.
News Item Compiled by Apoorv Kumar Chaudhary.