- The Cabinet nodded in approval of the National Offshore Wind Energy Policy, thereby bolstering the efforts undertaken for tapping the renewable energy sector in the country.
- The approval has been granted for establishing wind offshore projects and other R& D related activities in the EEZ area of the country.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) is entrusted with the task of supervising the offshore projects and the National Institute of Wind Energy (NIWE) has been appointed as the concerned agency for undertaking the various activities of coordination and other functions associated with it.
- Establishment of increased number of offshore projects has been one of the agendas of the Government for a while now.
- MNRE has occupied a prominent face since the 1990’s and almost 70 megawatt (MW) projects were envisaged to be set up in around seven different states across the country.
- Now India obtains around 23 Gigawatt (GW) of power from its onshore wind energy projects.
News Item Compiled by Manasa B. H