- The State Government of Meghalaya is committed to regulating the mining activities in the State, said CM Mukul Sangma.
- Yet, the Meghalaya Mines and Minerals Policy, 2012 which had the sole objective of facilitating systematic and scientific utilization of mineral resources keeping in mind the protection of environment, land, health and safety of people in and around the mining areas, will not be implemented since their provisions come in the way of the various Central mines acts provisions.
- The CM further stated that it would be wrong to accuse the State Government of not being in favor of the mining plan as the Government had initiated the process to formulate the mining policy way back in 2009.
- There was a ban on coal mining in the state of Meghalaya due to the issues raised by the concerned section of citizens.
- Although, mining policy was brought in 2009, no overt steps were being taken by the ministry to regulate this procedure.
- It was alleged that the Government including the Minister were involved in the coal business and hence were opposed to any move to regulate coal mining.
News Item compiled by Almas Shaikh