- Pope Francis is set to address the US Congress in a joint session on 24th September, 2015 on the imminent issues of tackling climate change.
- He called for people to pay attention to the harmful effects of excessive and abusive use of natural resources that God provided in his encyclical titled “On Care for Our Common Home”
- Although there has been mostly positive reception of the book, it has also been criticized by climate change skeptics who believe he should just focus on religious matters.
- Despite all this, Pope Francis considers the US as a primary producer and consumer of the Earth’s Natural resources, to become a role model to other nations in protecting the environment.
- This is not the first time that climate change has taken a religious color.
- Similar calls to protect the environment and to prevent global warming was made by heads of other religions including Muslim
and Jewish leaders.
News Item compiled by Almas Shaikh