- In the light of the upcoming summit on climate change in Paris, India has launched a 16 coach ‘science express’ train which will travel across the country in 7 months.
- It was flagged off from Safdarjung Railway Station in Delhi, jointly by Mr. Prakash Javadekar – Minister for Environment and Forests, Mr. Suresh Prabhu – Minister for Railways and Mr. Harsh Vardhan- Minister for Science and Technology.
- The train which will halt at 64 locations spread over 20 states will attempt to raise awareness regarding the implications of global warming and national and internal measures to tackle the same.
- Eight coaches will be devoted to information and material relating to climate change – issues, case studies, impact and solutions. The material will be put forth in a manner which can be comprehended easily by all age groups and sections of society.
- A coach will also be used for the orientation of teachers to engage in meaningful discussions through a discussion centre-cum-training facility.
- A Kids Zone has been set up in a coach which will include educational exhibits and fun activities such as puzzles and games in science and mathematics.
- An Outreach programme is also proposed to be held in local schools and institutions for greater awareness with educational pamphlets being circulated for wider distribution.
News Item Compiled by Devika Suresh