- Mr. Prakash Javadekar recently spoke about the necessity of strengthening the compliance mechanism and suggested that the setting up of a National Environment Management Authority and State Environment Management Authority (NEMA and SEMA) would prove to be an effective regulatory mechanism.
- He remarked that it would lead to participation from various stakeholders as opposed to a one person regime.
- On the issue of tribal rights, he maintained that all efforts were in place to ensure that their rights were settled under the Mines and Mineral Development and Regulation Act. A part of the profits earned through mining operations are being used for the development of tribals.
- Earlier, the Environment Ministry was considered as a roadblock to development as many projects were stalled due to pending clearances.
- After the BJP came to power, this issue was sought to be remedied.
- Mr. Javedkar has helped change the scenario to a great extent by focussing on building a transparent system for green clearances.
News Item Compiled by Devika Suresh