- MoEF extended the validity of Environment Clearance (EC) from 5 years to 7 years.
- The MoEF amended the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) notification of 2006 through an amendment as per draft notification of April 29, 2015.
- As per the amendment, prior environmental clearance granted for all other projects or activities would be seven years as opposed to five years.
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is an important management tool for ensuring the optimal use of natural resources for sustainable development.
- Its purpose is to identify, examine, assess and evaluate the likely and probable impacts of a proposed project on the environment and, thereby, to work out remedial action plans to minimize adverse impact on the environment.
- The Ministry has issued the Environmental Impact Assessment Notification, 2006, which makes environmental clearance mandatory for the development activities listed in its schedule.
News Item Compiled by Adarsh Mohandas