- In light of the upcoming Paris Meet to be held on 30th November, President Obama announced that U.S.A would actively contribute to a cleaner climate by promising to reduce carbon emissions by 42%
- Around 3,60,000 government buildings and 6,50,000 vehicles are believed to reduce their GHG emissions.
- NASA is also planning to reduce its energy consumption at its Centre in Houston.
- Other Departments of the U.S. Government such as the Department of Homeland Security is also planning to explore alternative sources of energy by setting up new solar facilities at its units in California and Puerto Rico.
- The UN Climate Change Conference is set to be held on Nov 30th at Paris. It will witness participation from around 200 countries across the world.
- It is slated to be one of the biggest environmental summits with many countries having a lot of stake in the expected outcomes.
- This announcement by President Obama is hoped to set pace to a new direction in the summit with the developed countries taking more responsibility towards reducing GHG emissions.
- In order to ameliorate the efforts undertaken for reducing carbon emissions, CEO’s of around 78 global companies including those of PepsiCo, HSBC, Nestle, Unilever etc have insisted on incorporating the pricing of carbon emissions in the climate change policies.
News Item Compiled by Manasa B. H.