The Environment Minister Prakash Javedkar has announced that a special 2 member team shall be formed to inquire into the Deonar fire at the Deonar dumping ground. The fire has been a toxic health and environmental hazard for all the residents.
- The Deonar dumping ground is a waste dumping ground or landfill in the city of Mumbai.
- It is the oldest landfill in India which was set up in 1927.
- The dumping ground extends over 132 hectares and receives 5,500 metric tonnes of waste, 600 metric tonnes of silt and 25 tonnes of bio-medical waste daily.
- This ground has been causing a lot of problems to heath of residents as well as the environment.
- Inefficient solid waste management leads to pollution.
There have been discussions to shut down the dumping ground.
News Item compiled by Namrata Keshava