- The first edition of World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) was inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The theme of this summit organized by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) was Beyond 2015: People, Planet and Progress.
- TERI’s Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS) has now been replaced by WSDS.
- The first DSDS was organized in 2005 which emphasized the need for businesses and private sector to take lead in poverty reduction and to ensure quick and sustainable adoption of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Earlier it had brought together Nobel laureates, decision-makers, political leaders from around the world to discuss and deliberate on the topic of sustainable development.
- This summit aims at providing various stakeholders a single platform so as to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the community globally.
- The 2016 WSDS hosted events like World CEO Sustainability Summit, Thematic Tracks, Media Colloquium, Youth Leaders and Greenovation Exhibition.
News item compiled by Ritika Ranka & Aditi Mishra