- 6th of November, 2016 was observed as International Day for Preventing the exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict
- Ban Ki-Moon, on the occasion, called for prudent action on the part of governments and organisations for the protection of the environment by way of promotion of peace.
- On 27th May, 2016 the United Nations Environment Assembly adopted a resolution recognizing the importance of healthy ecosystems and sustainable management of resources in reducing the chances of armed conflicts
- On 5th of November, 2001, the UN general Assembly declared 6 November as the International Day for Preventing the exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict.
- The move was in line with the UN’s implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development of peace, prosperity and dignity for all on a healthy planet.
- The purpose behind it is to promote awareness among the masses regarding the longevity of the damage dealt to the environment and the earthly resources due to armed conflict.
- This damage surpasses generations and territories, as had been stated in a report by United Nations Environment Programme.
- General Assembly Resolution 56/4, Observance of the International Day for Preveting the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict, A/RES/56/4, available from un.org/A/RES/56/4
– News Post compiled by Lettisha & Arya Warrier